phpMyAdmin with Secure Port
PhpMyAdmin is one of the most popular applications for MySQL databases management. It is a free tool written in PHP. Through this software you can create, alter, drop, delete, import and export MySQL database tables. You can run MySQL queries, optimize, repair and check tables, change collation and execute other database management commands.
In this scenario, your PhpMyadmin application will run on a different port rather than the default one and it will be accessible only from public ips which are allowed on firewall. This way, it adds an additional feature of security by changing the port and preventing it from getting unauthorized access.
- User-friendly web interface;
- Support for most MySQL functions like browse, drop, create, copy and alter databases, tables, views, fields and indexes, execute MySQL queries, manage stored procedures and functions;
- Import data from CSV and SQL files;
- Export data to various formats: CSV, SQL, XML, PDF, ISO/IEC 26300 – OpenDocument Text and Spreadsheet, Word, Excel, LATEX and others;
- Searching globally in a database or a subset of it;
- Web Based which means you can access from any computer.
- Local resources aren’t used when connecting.
- And much more.
Why we recommend to change the default port :
- The biggest benefit to changing the port is to avoid being seen by random scans. The vast majority of people hunting for any PhpMyadmin servers will look for port 80.
- If it’s more difficult to scan for your PhpMyadmin, your chances of being attacked on PhpMyadmin server exploit are reduced.You will be targeted if the attacker is trying to get your server, not any server.
- Therefore, not running PhpMyadmin on the default port increases security but to a limited extent only.